Brainstorm in Bloom

Where Mommas and Kiddos stay happy one Project at a time!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

DIY Bike Rack (Single Stem Idea)




I am crazy excited because my boys are all now training wheel free! My 3 and 4 year old both learned how to ride with no training wheels the same day and now they love doing trails and crazy stuff that I didn’t think they would be able to do. People watch the tricks that they do and say oh my, you are in trouble! Yes, I know!

Anyhow, since we don’t have training wheels and only Hornet’s bike has a kick stand we were in great need of a bike rack because I was going nutso with the bike just getting ditched wherever they landed. Actually, that still happens at times but the bikes most often end up in their happy new home of the bike rack! Anyhow, this project will take you less than 30 minutes and requires minimal “handy” skills!
I also made one for our scooters too - check out the last pic.


Enjoy this single stem idea of DIY Bike Rack
(and one for the scooters too)
for
Mommas or Dads to Make for their Kiddos

The Stuff
The FUN!
2 x6’s
1 x3 (or some other thin scrap wood)
Screws
Drill with bit the size of screw
Screwdriver
Measuring tape
Pencil


1. Cut 2 X6’s - I cut the long piece at 36 inches and the 6 shorter pieces at 14 inches. Cut 1 X 3 to match the long length (mine was 36 inches).
I used scraps we had from building our deck. The measurements may change based on how many bikes you have and how big they are – stand them up side by side to determine your overall size.

2. Mark holes for measurements. See pic below for my measurements.

3. Pre-drill holes in long 2 X 6.

4. Set all screws in pre-drilled holes.

5. Position short 2 X 6’s beneath and finish screwing in.  

6. Screw in thin piece along bottom.

Park the bikes in their new bike rack!

Now for the Pictures…






I also made one for the scooters that was very similar but just some different dimensions. It is 17 1/2 inches wide and each wood brace is 11 1/2 inches long. To determine the widths in between each brace I measured the widths of the scooters because you want it pretty snug or they just fall over. 

Please BRAINSTORM your ideas/suggestions in the COMMENTS below for the DIY Bike Rack (and scooters too)!
Happy Crafting
~Sara

15 comments :

Please add to the brainstorm by adding comments/suggestions/new ideas...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover