Brainstorm in Bloom

Where Mommas and Kiddos stay happy one Project at a time!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

DIY Homemade Bulletin Board (Single Stem Idea)


My oldest loves to tape papers to his wall which becomes a problem when the tape doesn’t work so well and so he decided to use glue instead. I didn’t find this out though until he switched to his own room and of course we had some difficulty getting down some of the glued pictures. So we needed a solution and I began looking up how to make a bulletin board. I found some great ideas online using homasote board but when I went to Lowes and Home Depot I couldn’t find it but instead found some hard insulation board – looks like a board made of a Styrofoam cooler with silver on one side. Great news is that an 8ft by 4ft board of insulation is 10 bucks compared to 30 for homasote. Not to mention that Home Depot has a few different sizes so I made two bulletin boards that were 4ft by 2ft (3 bucks + material) and one big daddy that was 8ft by 4ft. Check out these super EASY instructions for
 
Homemade Bulletin Board


The Stuff
The Prep
The FUN!
  • Hard insulation board (found at hardware stores near the lumber)
  • Duct tape
  • Fabric a little larger than the board (my friend had a good idea to use a sheet - they tie-dyed theirs)
  • Nails to affix to wall (we used Command Picture Hanging Strips made of Velcro)
Buy/gather  your supplies
1. Iron your material (the worst part in my book)

2. Lay material down (wrong side up). Lay insulation board on top.

3. Pull edges up and duct tape them pulling taut.

4. Flip over and hang up!

5. Start posting things on the board! Just that easy!

More ideas…

Please BRAINSTORM your ideas/suggestions in the COMMENTS below for the Homemade Bulletin Board!
Happy Crafting
~Sara

3 comments :

  1. What a great idea. I was looking doe something going down the stairs at my house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you hang the 8ft by 4ft board with Command Picture Hanging Strips made of Velcro? If so did the board stay up, and how many strips did you use? I'm thinking this will be a great homemade bulletin board for my classroom, but I have to be creative when hanging. I am hoping the command strips will work because I cannot put holes in the cinder block walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are the command trips that Velcro together. On my 8 by 4 I nailed it in to the studs but on the 2 by 4 bulletin boards I used 4 command strips and they hold up really well. I don't think you would have any problem with the command strips holding an 8 by 4 bulletin board. It is really lightweight. You would probably want 8 or 10 of them.
      My first classroom had a cinder block wall and I had a hard time finding anything that would work on it- they didn't have command strips then though!

      Delete

Please add to the brainstorm by adding comments/suggestions/new ideas...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover